Thursday 19 November 2009

Day 5: Floating home

I had another long and very deep sleep last night. Bay put it beautifully when I spoke with her on the phone this morning: she said that sleep is my "body's repair kit". Of course this is the case! Everyday the radiation gets in there and causes some intentional havoc and then my body responds to the situation during my sleeping hours. This probably explains why I have been averaging 11 to 12 hours sleeps this last week.
I feel quite light today, in anticipation of heading back to my lovely home on the island. In fact I am feeling very good this morning. Almost normal...
It will be good to go home this evening to be with the family and to see Bay who arrived on Monday from the Kootenays (after I had already left). There have been some tough evenings saying good night to the kids on the phone (or skype) where they have been quite sad. I think the good thing about going home will be that they will realize I am just fine and that everything will return to normal in a few weeks from now. There are a lot of unknowns for them right now because of all the heavy terminology that has been thrown around. Words like tumor and cancer (as in clinic) are very loaded and can install unnecessary fears for them. I look the same, act the same and it is still me -- all of that will be good for them to see.
My wonderful friends, Cam and Cristina have been absolute gold for me here in Vancouver. It is good to have lots of history with friends in a situation like this. We have known each other for almost 18 years and I feel likes I can really relax around them. If I come home and need to rest, then so be it -- I do not have to explain myself to them. They have been incredibly nurturing and kind to me. I am lucky to have such good people in my life.
Until next week...

1 comment: