Monday 23 November 2009

Day 6: Back at it...

Here we go again. After a weekend of blissful recharging with the kids, Skye and Bay at home it is Monday and I am back again in Vancouver. Treatment time was at 4pm this afternoon so I was able to amble a little at home in the morning, taking the kids to school and hanging out with Bay while packing. It was good to maximize my weekend time before getting geared up for more radiation treatments.

On one of my blogs last week I spoke a little about all the advice that my condition has tended to elicit from some people when they found out about it. While on the ferry today, I was thinking about other types of conversations that have flowed out of this health situation I am in.
One conversation that has been quick to develop over the last many months is the question of what may have caused my tumor. This is an especially compelling conversation given that I am quite young and that I have always lived a relatively healthy life style. Of course, we will never likely know but I do of course have my own crank opinions. Popular causal suggestions from people have included things like ingestation of aspartame ( a known neurotoxin), the use of cell/cordless phones, radiation towers, stress and the connection between our emotions and our health, ect, ect...
Realistically it is probably multi-causal given that we live in a world of increasing complexity with huge arrays of pollutants coming from every arena of our environment. I must admit, after following a lot of media stories about health concerns with cordless phones, I have considered that it may have been a significant contributing factor. It is definitely the case that we have used one for a long time and I have always favoured my left ear (the affected side) when using the phone. After following some very compelling reports about why cordless phones are a bad idea, we have eliminated them from our lives and gone back to the old corded phone varieties. Supposedly cell phones and wireless contraptions carry similar health concerns -- so the question is where does one stop with the elimination of these pollutants? We will see....
There is so much convenience associated with so many of these tools we use. That said, maybe we will look back on a lot of this technology we use in years to come like we look back now on tobacco. Time will tell.
It is getting late and I must get my rejuvenating sleep...
Until tomorrow. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment