Thursday 3 December 2009

Day 15: Gratitude

What a remarkable year 2009 has been for me. For one thing I have worked a total of two and a half months for the entire year. For many people that could have been a not so positive experience but for me it has been a gift. One the one hand, I got to spend eight solid months with my kids and darling wife on a trip of a lifetime that provided enough newness and freshness for years to come. On the other hand, all this time has provided me with an amazing amount of opportunities for reflection and introspection. I have had endless hours to examine my life and to slow down enough to smell the roses and attempt to be in the present. It is unfortunate that those things tend to slip away in our regular busy lives but the truth is they often do. Simple acts like lapping up the sun, enjoying an occasional sunset or walking with real attention to one's surroundings can all be very fulfilling in a very fundamental way. Not to mention eating a gelato and paying attention to the intricacies of all the wonderful flavours . . . God I am becoming such a flake!
No seriously, I have been so lucky to have this year with so much time to enjoy my family and appreciate all the beauty in this world. In many ways the travel really left me feeling more positive about the world. Sitting at home and only having the media as a lens on the world, tends to skew it after awhile. Our traveling experiences put us in contact with so many lovely people all wanting the same basic good things in their lives and for their families. The timing could not have been better because at times it is hard not to feel like it is all going to shit when one focuses on what is fed to us.
So there you have it -- more gratitude! I should have just made this a gratitude blog. Funny how when the carpet gets pulled from under my one's feet it leads to feeling lots of appreciation for all the good in one's life . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment