Tuesday 1 December 2009

Day 12: Too few plates in the air

It is amazing to me how I can be two entirely different people depending on the context of the life I am leading. Normally in my very busy life I am constantly juggling a whole bunch of plates in the air. Between my home routines, the kids needs and work -- I keep a very tight schedule, doing constant maintenance to ensure my life looks like I want it to look. The net result is that I become the king of efficiency, doing all my tasks with good quality in mind.
The flip side is when I have little to do, I become completely incapable of accomplishing anything particularly well. That seems to be the space I am in right now. Time flies by with astonishing speed and I seem to be accomplishing very little.
Everyday it seems like I blink my eyes and it is already midday and its time to make my journey to the clinic to get my treatment. Somewhere in there I manage to do a little email, do a little yoga, eat some cereal -- and before I know it the day its gone. It is so bad that at times I wonder if I m a little altered by this whole experience.
At the beginning of this journey, I had all the best intentions to do some reading or maybe even get creative with a project -- but it just is not happening! I think there is something to be said for a full busy life, with lots on one's plate. Part of it is that I am not in my home environment. At least if I was there I could do some spring cleaning, rake some leaves, water some plants, bug Skye for sex etc, etc.... Maybe not though. It could simply be that when I have more time I waste it on frivolous things.
Yikes, I guess I will definitley have to avoid ever retiring. Maybe I am a bit of a workaholic at heart? Or maybe I am just extremely hyperactive in my regular lifestyle and this is clashing with my current need to rest. Maybe that is why I feel so rattled by this whole "treatment" experience. Gosh maybe more yoga is in order .... Help!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there boet. The end is in sight. Is there a place/number I can call you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's okay to be "inefficient" with your time right now. Embrace the inefficiency! I too have observed a similar dynamic in my life, since being away.

    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete